Make a Healthy & Informed Decision
Like any medical procedure, abortion comes with risks — both physical and emotional. It’s important to know and understand these risks before choosing an abortion procedure.
Physical Risks and Side Effects:
The physical side effects of abortion vary, depending on the type of abortion procedure that is done. For example, possible side effects of surgical abortions include:
- Damage to the womb or cervix
- Excessive bleeding
- Infection of the uterus or fallopian tubes
- Scarring inside of the uterus
- Reaction to the medicines or anesthesia, such as problems breathing
- Uterine perforation (accidentally putting a hole in the uterus)
- Not removing all of the tissue, with the need for another procedure
We can discuss these risks in more depth during your consultation as needed.
Emotional Risks and Side Effects:
An abortion presents emotional risks as well. While some women may experience relief after an abortion, others wrestle with negative feelings whether short-term or long-term. Psychologists have labeled this emotional reaction post-abortion syndrome.
Feelings associated with post-abortion stress include:
- Guilt/emotional pain
- Sexual dysfunction
- Difficulty maintaining relationships
- Memory repression
- Increased alcohol and drug abuse
- Long-term grief
- Anniversary reactions
- Suicidal thoughts
If you have had an abortion and are experiencing any of these symptoms, we can help. Our Child Loss Support counselors can provide safe and supportive care for you.
Please note that we do not offer or refer for abortions. However, we are committed to offering accurate information about abortion procedures and risks. Make your confidential appointment today to discuss your options.
You deserve access to accurate information from a resource that will not profit from your pregnancy decision.
Caring, supportive guidance is available.